Thursday, October 13, 2011

New Mexico Inspired...Pumpkins, Chili, and Golden Aspens

New Mexico is truly the Land of Enchantment, and whenever I'm there the natural beauty and artistic "vibe" is always inspiring.  At this time of year roadside stands and farmers markets are filled with chili ristras, pumpkins, bouquets of fall flowers, and the fruits and vegetables of the season.  After a trip to Ghost Ranch, just outside of Abiquiu, my sisters and dad and I stopped at a stand in Velarde on our way back to Taos.
  Wow!  How could one not be inspired by the luscious, rich colors here?
The double weave pillows I finished in California are now where they were designed to be...on my red sofa in Taos, and I'm struck by how much the colors remind me of the dried red chili and orange pumpkins in the top photo. 

After two of my sisters left Taos, Susan and I drove up to the Taos Ski Valley in search of changing Aspens.  We were rewarded when we discovered a small tree lying beside the road that had been knocked over in a wind stormIt was "just waiting" for us to pick up the pieces and take them home where we would arrange the branches to fit various places in and outside the house. 
Susan, happy with her aspen leaves!
                               
Picnic spot beside the river in Taos Ski Valley.
Aspen bounty!
 


 And while we're on the subject of color... Here's a photo of Russian sage and Agastache (Hummingbird Mint) blooming in front of the house:
 And a gorgeous sunset making the snow on Taos mountain glow:
Hmm... there seem to be some colors calling to me in these two shots!  Wonder what they might inspire?

No comments:

Post a Comment