I chose a different treadling for each side of the two pillows; two small scale and two larger. Here are the two smaller patterns:
And the two larger:
Sewing the pieces together presented another challenge. Because the fabric is so thick, it would barely fit under the presser foot of my sewing machine. It also wanted to shift, and I was concerned about the look of the seams if they weren't aligned correctly. So... I sewed all the seams by hand using 8/2 cotton and a large eye tapestry needle. It took awhile, but I'm glad I took the time to do it. I was able to follow one thread along each edge for a precise seam.
The fabric is far too heavy to use for covered welting; instead, I made a ropey twisted cord and stitched it carefully over the seams.I'm pleased with the way these pillows turned out and sent photos this morning to Madelyn van der Hoogt, editor of Handwoven magazine, who initiated the idea of using an especially heavy yarn. She likes them! And they will be published in the January/February 2012 issue of Handwoven. Yea!