Sunday, August 7, 2011

Birthday Basket

Yesterday was my birthday, and I had the pleasure of spending the better part of the day at a basket weaving workshop taught by Pam Furry, a friend from my weaving guild.  I had my camera with me, intending to take lots of process pictures, but I got so caught up in making the basket that I failed to take even one!  I guess that tells you how much fun I was having!
                                              
The base of the basket is a square piece of wood with a groove around the outside edge where the vertical supports are inserted.  The first weaving occurs around the base, over and under the verticals with a small, round reed.
                                           
Flat 1/2" reed was used for the main body of the basket, and Pam had lots of different sizes and colors of accent reeds.  Each basket took on its own personality depending on the colors people chose and the various patterns they wove into their baskets.  I chose a variegated reed with a purplish black in between, and green webbing for the handles.

The final step was adding a half-round reed to the inside and outside top edges, attaching it with a lashing strip.  A narrow cord of sea grass sits between the two reeds, adding a final finishing touch.
                                                        
 What a fun day... and a great way to celebrate my birthday!

1 comment:

  1. joannmartin@yahoo.comAugust 8, 2011 at 8:11 PM

    Your talents continue! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete