Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bertha G.Hayes and Doubleweave Overshot

Jennifer Moore, author of  "The Weaver's Studio: Doubleweave," gave a presentation at our guild last month which inspired me to revisit doubleweave.  One chapter, in particular, caught my attention; doubleweave overshot...  no doubt because my weave structures study group has spent the past couple of months exploring overshot.  And, because the technique meshed perfectly with an idea I had for a double-sided fabric that could be used for a jacket showing both sides.

I had seen an overshot pattern in this book of Bertha G. Hayes' Patterns from the 1940's that I liked.


 
The original pattern was a small, tight design I liked the circular motifs a lot, so expanded the draft to enlarge the circles.  
 Here's what it looks like on the loom.

This is the top layer, woven with a mix of copper and two reds.  The bottom layer is two shades of copper and one red.  I've woven over four yards (actually over eight considering there are two layers), with about one yard to go.  Whew!  I can't wait to get it off the loom and see how it looks.
                                         http://www.doubleweaver.com/images/doubleweave.jpg 
This is the cover of Jennifer's Book.  Aren't the colors great?              

No comments:

Post a Comment