Thursday, November 18, 2010

Weaving Records

One reason I decided to blog my weaving and other textile adventures is to create a visual record of my work.  Over twenty years ago I worked on commision through interior designers and furniture stores.  As crazy at it seems to me now, I kept very poor records.  Perhaps because I was doing mainly decorative accessories - rugs, pillows, and bedspreads - I thought they didn't merit the same attention that an "art" piece might.  Who knows?  I don't remember exactly what I was thinking then, but I realize now what a mistake I made.  There are a few things I know the location of; a rug I wove for an art gallery in New Mexico, a few pillows, and a bedspread made for my parents.  

In the 70's and early 80's Danish modern furniture was very popular, and I was fortunate to have one of my bedspreads on display at Danica in Beverly Hills and California Design Center in Orange County.  I recently came across this postcard from California Design Center showing a bedspread I wove.  Other than the one I wove for my parents, it is the only record I have .

The point of this post is to encourage you to keep accurate records of your work.  Take lots of pictures and record the details... even if you think something is hardly noteworthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment