Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Color in Crackle

The  weave structures study group I belong to spent some time last year exploring crackle, a structure renamed by Mary M. Atwater who thought the Swedish name Jamtlandsvav  was "to English speaking people something of a mouthful" and "because of the background effect which somewhat resembles the crackle in pottery."  (Quote from Mastering Weave Structures by Sharon Alderman.)

While I don't quite see the pottery connection, I love weaving crackle because of the opportunities for mixing colors.  I've been experimenting with different palettes and it has been a great color exercise as I've woven the fabric for these small shoulder bags.  In the series shown here, there are four colors in the warp, then those same colors in the weft plus a fifth.  The fifth color changes in each bag resulting in striking differences in the overall look.  The button loops and straps are made with the fifth color.


These bags will soon  be in my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/SarahHJackson


 

No comments:

Post a Comment