Saturday, February 25, 2012

Transparency with a Twist

Handwoven transparency is a technique typically used for window coverings or room dividers, but I just finished designing a top using the transparency inlay technique.
 The transparent quality is more evident in this photo of the back where you see the camisole underneath.
Linen or other 'sturdy' fibers are the traditional choice for warp and weft, but  wanting something soft that would be suitable for clothing, I chose tencel which I love for it's silk-like hand and drape. The inlay was done with a variegated rayon boucle. Some of the motifs are solid squares while others are open in the middle.
I used a commercial pattern for the top - Butterick 5948 - which was a pleasant change after the time-consuming task of making my own pattern for the last garment I made.
I changed a couple things on the pattern - 3/4 length sleeves instead of short or long, and I bound the edges with bias cut linen. My woven fabric involved quite a bit of special handling, so the "two hour" tag definitely didn't apply! Maybe I'll try the pattern again with commercial fabric - it would be fun to see if it really takes only two hours!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is gorgeous! what a creative interpretation of handwoven transparency!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I love this! Beautiful and I am sure you look beautiful wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning! I haven't set up a profile yet, but it's me--SG

    ReplyDelete