Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Swedish Lace Weave

I've been weaving a lot, just not being consistent about posting here to let you know what I'm up to!


Below is a scarf that I wove using a Swedish Lace weave as the border:


 Underneath is the fabric I wove next in creamy, off-white & natural.

I liked this so much that I decided to tie on another warp and weave it in another color which is shown here:
  The tying on was more than a little problematic.  Even though I tied the two warps together using a weaver's knot which is quite flat, the knots were still tight going through the reed, and I had to tug on about every two threads to pop them through.  Then, of course, they had to be wiggled and jiggled to get them through the heddles.  Aaagh!  I'm sure I could have threaded and rethreaded my loom several times in the time I spent tying on the second warp.  So tell me... Why does anyone think tying on is a good idea?

2 comments:

  1. I agree! The one time I tried tying on a new warp, I didn't find it to be time-saving at all either. I think the main value of the technique might be if you had a warp that was really expensive, you could eliminate some of the loom waste.
    Deborah H.

    ReplyDelete