Tuesday, July 5, 2011

DoubleWeave Pillows, Inspired by A Friend

When I started weaving again about six years ago, one of the first issues of Handwoven magazine I saw was the March/April 2006 issue with this gorgeous pillow on the cover.
Here is the photo from the interior of the magazine showing the colors more accurately:
I absolutely fell in love with the pillow which was designed by Susan Horton, weaver extraordinaire.   A short while later I joined the South Coast Weavers and Spinners Guild in Orange County, and discovered, to my delight, that Susan is a member.  We have since become close friends and shared many fun-filled fiber adventures. 

I looked often at the photos of Susan's pillow, regularly "visited" it in her home, read her article several times, and imagined weaving it in another palette.  Finally, this week, I decided to actually do it.  You won't be surprised to know I pulled out my stash of reds, golds, purples, and oranges.  

Fourteen colors in the warp and seven in the weft combine for a lot of color interaction making it interesting and exciting as the colors mix in varied ways. It is so much fun to weave!  If color can be addictive, this is it for me!
I put on a warp long enough for three pillows; fronts, backs, and cording, but I'm wishing I had more!  The possibilities for color combinations seem almost endless, and I'm sure I would have fun weaving a good while longer if I just wasn't coming to the end of the warp.  

For now, back to the loom.  (I just can't stay away!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment